The cellars in front of the Church of St Michael are among the newest underground spaces found under Dominican Square. They probably originated in the 19th century as purpose-built storage areas for the market shops located under the church ramp.
In the 20th century, one of the owners of these cellars was the butcher Karel Novák, who bought the shop in 1937 as a ‘licensed slaughterhouse’ and ran the shop with his wife Anna as ‘Butcher Karel Novák’. Every morning at three o’clock he went to Malhostovice for meat in order to open the shop at five o’clock with its famous delicacies: aspic, head cheese, and boiled pig’s feet. Every day, he descended with half a pig down the fourteen steps to the cold room to hang the meat on the hooks that, when the cellar was rediscovered in 1999, were in their original place and still are today. After the deli was cancelled in the 1950s, public toilets were set up in these areas and the cellar was probably walled up. The shop was used for storage, and then a flower shop was opened in 1974. The space under the ramp is again accessible now and has served various tenants as a gallery, a retail space, and a café.
The cellars lying directly below the busy street are in surprisingly good technical condition, although for many years there were trams running above them in the direction of Dominikánská and Zámečnická streets. Nevertheless, their masonry has been repaired and the cellars were connected by an original staircase with a small store in the shop. It is only a matter of time before these premises will again serve the public for social or cultural purposes.