The southern edge of Petrov hill is marked by the very valuable historical development of the former canonical houses and today’s bishopric. These houses are new Baroque buildings built on medieval foundations. All these buildings are equipped with underground spaces with very interesting cellar structures.
One of the most interesting is the cellar of house no. 7. A descent through the cellar of mixed masonry of bricks and quarry stone to the lowest part of the cellar comes with a real reward. The weathered cracked diabase rock, enriched with natural minerals, created a perfectly coloured cellar jewel. The water dripping in a regular rhythm from the rocky vault enhances the uniqueness of this place, which today serves as the wine archive of the bishopric. The fact that the right part of the cellar is located almost beneath the cathedral also contributes to this.
The building of the former Provostship no. 8, which became the seat of the Bishop of Brno in 1777, was built during the Renaissance on the remains of a medieval building. However, the origin of the preserved cellars under the garden on the west side of the palace remains quite unclear. The wide exit from the cellars to the garden supports the assumption that there was probably a building here. However, its perimeter and layout cannot be determined by the preserved underground.
The cellar of no. 6 has two storeys. The lower level of the cellars is located below the level of the courtyard and is accessible by a staircase that descends into a large cellar space (length 10 metres, width 6 metres), vaulted by a semi-circular barrel vault. The northern face of the cellar is formed by a rock face into which a smaller space is carved. This Gothic cellar was used in the past to store wine, as evidenced by the remains of the preserved oak barrel grates.